RESEARCH TRIANGLE PARK – Over the last month, local job openings have declined on most of the major job boards WRAL TechWire tracks for our weekly Jobs Report. But even as speculation grows that the inflation-ridden economy is headed for a recession, there is one bright spot: The demand for technology jobs is continuing to grow.
Still, an economic slowdown most likely means less hiring even as millions of openings remain across the country. “I expect that talk of a recession will continue in coming months,” writes N.C. State economist Dr. Michael Walden in a new column.
The Triangle is no exception, but the overall numbers are slipping. LinkedIn shows 5,277 fewer positions across the Triangle than it did in mid-May, while Indeed.com dropped another 2,679 and ZipRecruiter dropped 4,890. Adzuna was somewhat of an outlier, as the job board shows 2,600 more local jobs than it did a month ago.
One site deviated from these trends: Dice.com, a job board for tech-specific positions, shows decent growth in the Triangle region—reflecting the universally high demand for technology talent. Dice.com’s openings in Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill are up by nearly 600 positions since mid-May. And compared to our count in early January, the site has added more than 10,000 local jobs this year.
Though the pace of job openings appears to be slowing in recent months, the numbers remain up year over year. Since January, most major job boards have added thousands of positions across the Triangle area. (See the breakdown below.)
The demand for talent is still high, with tens of thousands of local jobs remaining unfilled. Today’s Jobs Report features openings spanning a range of employers, from banks to universities to biotech firms to health care systems.
What local economists say
Rod Frankel’s team at Frankel Staffing Partners recruits employees to fill professional positions in offices across the Triangle.
“There are new positions out there,” Frankel said. “There are companies that are hiring.”
Frankel said he’s not seeing a slowdown in hiring.
“We have to be thankful for the businesses that are continuing to grow, the small businesses that are continuing the entrepreneurial spirit and are continuing to hire,” Frankel said.
After months of surging numbers of openings, some of the job boards are showing a sign of a slowdown in the creation of new positions.
“I think those days are going to be over in the coming months,” Walden said. “Hopefully, it’ll be a short period of time, but we’re in that period of time where some belt-tightening is going on.”
Businesses are doing the same as families and considering their risks if a recession hits.
WRAL News asked Walden to explain what that belt-tightening means for the job market.
“Probably the ability to change jobs and get a better job quickly in the coming months is going to be much less lucrative and much less possible than it was in the last year,” Walden said.
Duke Fuqua Business School professor Campbell Harvey and Frankel echoed Walden’s sentiments about changing jobs in the coming months.
“Now is definitely not the time if you don’t like your job just to quit and look around,” Harvey said.
“You need to be very certain before making a decision about leaving your current company,” Frankel said.
WRAL TechWire’s weekly Jobs Report compiles the latest information from the region’s top job boards, offering a breakdown of how many jobs are posted, which companies are hiring, and what positions are most in-demand. We’ve also included upcoming job fairs, student-centric resources, and a list of Twitter accounts that track local job openings.
Below, we’ll review what’s new since last week’s Jobs Report.
Local positions on national job boards
Every week, we track the total number of Triangle-area positions posted on major job websites. Here’s a look at the totals as of Sunday afternoon. Note: The month-over-month totals are compared to our May 16 report, and the year-to-date totals compare to our Jan. 3 report.
- Wake County: 53,027 jobs (⇑ +1,550 month-over-month; ⇑ +10,476 year-to-date)
- Raleigh: 32,208 (⇓ -175 MoM; ⇑ +8,264 YTD)
- Durham County: 13,016 (⇑ +557 MoM; ⇑ +3,262 YTD)
- Johnston County: 3,177 (⇑ +487 MoM)*
- Dice.com (using the 5-mile radius filter):
- Raleigh: 18,735 (⇑ +185 MoM; ⇑ +3,364 YTD)
- Durham: 18,556 (⇑ +189 MoM; ⇑ +3,376 YTD)
- Chapel Hill: 18,352 (⇑ +213 MoM; ⇑ +3,363 YTD)
- Glassdoor: 38,970 jobs across the Research Triangle Park area (⇓ -898 MoM; ⇑ +4,122 YTD)
- Indeed (5-mile radius filter):
- Raleigh: 17,645 (⇓ -712 MoM; ⇑ +1,237 YTD)
- Durham: 10,603 (⇓ -847 MoM; ⇑ +566 YTD)
- Chapel Hill: 4,744 (⇓ -1,106 MoM; ⇑ +856 YTD)
- Johnston County: 847 (⇓ -14 MoM)*
- LinkedIn (using the “exact location” and “0-miles” filters):
- Raleigh: 29,360 (⇓ -1,754 MoM; ⇑ +2,495 YTD)
- Durham: 13,652 (⇓ -3,300 MoM; ⇓ -835 YTD)
- Chapel Hill: 2,825 (⇓ -223 MoM; ⇑ +395 YTD)
- Johnston County: 1,734 (⇑ +108 MoM)*
- ZipRecruiter (5-mile filter):
- Raleigh: 43,803 (⇑ +1,094 MoM; ⇑ +10,581 YTD)
- Durham: 16,922 (⇓ -971 MoM; ⇑ +2,064 YTD)
- Chapel Hill: 954 (⇓ -3,182 MoM; ⇓ -2,690 YTD)
- Johnston County: 391 (⇓ -737 MoM)*
*Note: The year-to-date data for Johnston County is not available because we added it to the lineup after January 2022.
Startup Job Search Sites
Aside from the boards above, job seekers can also find local startup jobs at SimplyHired (246 startup jobs near Research Triangle Park), LinkedIn (13,737 results in and around Raleigh), Indeed (289 startup jobs in/near RTP) and AngelList (job openings in Raleigh, Durham and across North Carolina). InHerSight also lists jobs at local startups.
Here’s a look at local and regional job sites, listed in alphabetical order:
AMA Triangle, the fifth-largest chapter in American Marketing Association’s nationwide network, aims to be a go-to resource for all things marketing in the Triangle. The organization provides professional training, free career webinars and a job board offering free resume placement for marketing professionals.
As of Sunday afternoon, AMA Triangle’s job board shows 68 marketing jobs in Raleigh, 37 in Durham and 27 in Chapel Hill (using the 25-mile radius filter). However, no new jobs were added to the site over the last week. Here’s a recap of the previous week’s listings:
- Hutchison PLLC is hiring a director of marketing and business development in Raleigh.
- Marsh & McLennan Companies seeks a client relations and marketing manager in Raleigh.
- The North Carolina Bar Association posted an opening for a marketing specialist in Cary.
- Robert Half posted two jobs in Raleigh for a marketing/creative practice director and a client solutions manager.
- Verizon is looking to hire a senior product marketing advisor at its Cary office.
Durham-based startup hub American Underground regularly posts job openings on its job board. Job seekers can filter their search by company, location and job function. As of Sunday afternoon, the site shows 180 jobs at 56 companies. Fourteen job openings were posted over the last week:
- Sports software provider Accredit Solutions posted an opening for a sales development representative in Durham.
- Health care software provider Aledade is hiring a chief of clinical operations and strategy in Durham (or remote).
- Elevate Labs, a brain training app developer, posted a remote opening for a senior iOS engineer.
- Private jet company flyExclusive is hiring a pilot liaison.
- Log management software provider LogDNA posted two remote openings for an executive assistant and a director of growth marketing.
- Durham-based data science firm NoviSci posted two openings for senior statisticians.
- California-based insurtech startup Noyo posted two remote openings for a solutions architect and a sync manager.
- Durham’s ProcessMaker, a workflow automation software provider, is looking to hire a software engineer.
- Digital storytelling startup The Looma Project is looking to add a VP/SVP of sales and a sales director in Durham.
- Wild Earth, a pet food company, seeks a field brand ambassador in Raleigh.
Bio Jobs Hub
Last year, WRAL TechWire and the North Carolina Biotechnology Center launched a Bio Jobs Hub platform focused on biopharma manufacturing — one of North Carolina’s largest industries, employing over 26,000 people.
Typical biopharma jobs include process technicians, maintenance and/or instrumentation technicians, quality assurance and quality control associates, process development scientists and process engineers. This industry also offers competitive entry-level salaries, from $42,000 to $60,000.
‘I love my career choice:’ How BioWork program changed this young woman’s life
Scientists, skilled laborers and recent graduates can use the Bio Jobs Hub resource to find career and training opportunities in their area. Users can search by location, job category/activity and region.
Many biopharma companies are hiring in the Triangle, including large employers like Biogen in Research Triangle Park, bioMérieux in Durham, GSK in Zebulon, Merck & Co. in Durham, Novo Nordisk in Durham and Clayton, Pfizer in Sanford, and others.
Leadership Triangle’s job board is packed with local jobs. The site displays 1,653 openings at 30 companies as of Sunday afternoon.
Here’s what’s been posted in the last week:
- Bank of America posted openings for a financial solutions advisor trainee in Garner, a business support lead and wealth management client associate in Raleigh, and a consumer investments financial solutions advisor trainee in Durham.
- Blue Cross NC posted several openings in Durham: Project/program manager, valuation consulting actuary, senior strategic advisor of healthcare equity, portfolio analyst, senior application system analyst, senior project/program manager, sports marketing and activation manager, clinical coding and outreach manager, Medicare membership service manager, senior product owner and regional sales executive.
- Burt’s Bees seeks a material handler in Morrisville.
- Capitol Broadcasting Company (WRAL TechWire’s parent company) is hiring for five positions in Raleigh: TV news producer, sales coordinator (two openings), TV ENG editor (part-time) and strategic business developer. And in Holly Springs/Durham, the company seeks a food and beverage manager.
- Coastal Credit Union added five positions in Raleigh: Network engineer, mortgage clerical temp, regional advice centers manager, mortgage loan coordinator and BSA officer. It also posted an opening in Cary for a branch manager.
- Fidelity Investments posted lots of new jobs in Durham last week. Open positions include: Principal systems services and support analyst, event streaming data and analytics director, principal software engineer in test, principal cybersecurity consultant, software engineer (three openings), senior software engineer (six openings), digital brokerage services squad leader, SOAR associate, cybersecurity software engineer (two openings), digital experience engineering lead director, senior data engineer (two openings), FDAS custody operations team lead, senior full-stack engineer, MDM platforms squad leader, defined benefit business analyst (two openings), senior software engineer in test (three openings), senior pension administrator, senior cybersecurity tester/assessor, digital communities advancement and growth director, principal software engineer (three openings), FDAS custody operations analyst, FDAS custody operations associate analyst, front-end software engineer, principal product analyst, cybersecurity analyst, senior project manager, senior IT product manager, principal full-stack software engineer, senior digital solutions consultant, digital solutions consultant, data analytics analyst, cloud application engineer, principal cloud software engineer and AM compliance technology squad leader.
- Google is hiring for several positions in Durham/Raleigh: principal engineer of Google Kubernetes engine efficiency, strategy and planning operations program manager, Google Cloud security knowledge exchange technical writer, site reliability engineering systems engineer, site reliability engineering software engineer, cloud finance application engineer manager, cloud finance application engineer, product operations and strategy principal, partner global process owner, SoC performance analysis software engineer, Google Workspace test engineer, cloud networking technical writer, chief information security office product operations lead, distributed cloud systems development engineer, senior mobile software engineer, OEM channel sales manager, cloud storage software engineer, cloud networking software engineer, Android software engineer, cloud security solutions consultant and UX program manager.
- Medicago seeks a downstream purification supervisor, a manufacturing specialist and an ERP system administrator in Durham.
- North Carolina Central University added 15 job openings in Durham: Access services clerk, building environmental services supervisor, property security officer, budget officer, student services specialist, purchasing specialist, public safety telecommunicator (MMR), facilities maintenance technician in building trades, technology support analyst, assistant professor, student counselor, residential life area coordinator, learning specialist and facility maintenance technician in mechanical trades (two openings).
- Self-Help Credit Union is looking to hire an investor and community relations associate in Durham.
- Truist posted several job openings across the Triangle area:
- Apex: Senior relationship banker
- Cary: Senior relationship banker and on-demand teller
- Chapel Hill: Teller/senior teller
- Raleigh: Relationship banker, mobile automation DevSecOps engineer, mobile automation software engineer, mobiles automation technical lead, business services officer/commercial banker, IS systems specialist, digital servicing Scrum master (entry-level), CCB underwriter and portfolio manager, senior content designer, digital marketing senior consultant/lead, alerts senior product owner, foundations and endowments administration operations analyst, universal banker, senior relationship banker, software engineer (three openings), Oracle Exadata DBA, financial services specialist and wealth business analyst
- William Peace University posted six openings in Raleigh: IT technician (part-time), systems administrator, technical support analyst, VP of enrollment management and marketing, financial aid coordinator, and assistant professor of interactive design and head esports coach.
The North Carolina Biotechnology Center’s extensive jobs board lists open jobs and internships from local life science companies and research organizations. The organization recently updated the user interface with a fresh design. Job seekers can filter their search results by position title, job function and location. NCBiotech also touts jobs through its Bio Jobs Hub program.
The site lists 362 openings as of Sunday afternoon. Here is what’s new over the last week:
- Abzena seeks a quality control associate in Sanford.
- Altis Biosystems posted three openings in Durham: associate director of commercial services, shifted schedule research associate and research technician.
- BioAesthetics Corporation seeks a histology technician and a laboratory technician in Durham.
- bioMérieux posted five openings in Durham: senior mechanical engineer, senior manufacturing execution system admin, senior compliance manager, biochemist and associate document control manager.
- BridgeBio Gene Therapy is hiring a laboratory and purchasing manager in Raleigh.
- Cell Microsystems posted two listings for research assistants in Durham.
- CoImmune seeks a regulatory affairs manager in Durham.
- ColoWrap seeks a product manager in Durham.
- The Duke Human Vaccine Institute posted several openings in Durham, including bioinformatician, GMP quality assurance associate, postdoctoral associate (two openings), research scientist, GMP downstream bioprocess development scientist and senior bioinformatician.
- The Duke Molecular Physiology Institute seeks a lab research analyst in Durham.
- Duke University Orthopaedic Surgery is hiring a lab research analyst and two research technicians in Durham.
- GeneCentric Therapeutics posted an opening in Durham for a VP of business development/chief business officer.
- Grifols is looking to hire a senior inventory analyst in Clayton.
- inSoma Bio posted an opening for a biomaterial development research scientist in Durham.
- Locus Biosciences posted several openings in Morrisville, including inflammatory bowel disease scientist, preclinical research associate/technician, project coordinator, R&D project manager, research associate and R&D product delivery scientist. The company also seeks candidates for its rotational program in automation and bioinformatics.
- MedKoo Biosciences posted an opening for an entry-level chemist/biochemist in Morrisville.
- Merck & Co. is hiring for several positions in Durham, including operations manager, associate warehousing technician, supplier development engineer, energy center technician, HVAC refrigeration senior maintenance technician, senior instrumentation technician, maintenance/calibration manager, supplier quality management specialist, vaccine manufacturing operations manager, vaccine manufacturing operations technician, associate vaccine manufacturing operations technician, senior validation engineering specialist, senior manufacturing automation specialist, automation engineer, HPV operations manager, and quality systems and compliance director.
- NightHawk Biosciences seeks a quality assurance associate/specialist in Morrisville.
- The North Carolina Biotechnology Center seeks an associate director of life science economic development and a VP of finance in RTP/Durham.
- Oerth Bio is hiring a molecular modeling scientist in Durham.
- Redbud Labs seeks a research associate in Durham.
- The Structural Genomics Consortium (SGC) at UNC Chapel Hill is looking to add a postdoctoral research associate.
- Torque Bio is hiring a cellular biology scientist in Durham.
- UNC Chapel Hill’s Office of the Vice Chancellor for Research posted an opening for a research translation director.
Note: This list does not include openings posted by recruiting/staffing firms.
The North Carolina Technology Association (NC TECH) has an interactive job board that you can use to find your next career opportunity. Users can search by keyword, location, category, type (full-time or part-time) and experience level.
Four local jobs were posted last week: Labcorp is looking to hire a principal IT architect and a sales operations data analyst in Raleigh, as well as an associate IT project manager and an Oracle DBA in Durham.
NCWorks, the statewide job search portal run by the North Carolina Department of Commerce, has nearly 100 career centers located across the state. Users can filter NCWorks’ database by keyword, location, occupation group or specific occupations, minimum acceptable salary, education level, job sources and date posted.
North Carolina military veterans, transitioning service members and spouses can find additional resources on NCWorks’ separate veterans portal.
Nearly 2,000 resumes were updated on the site this week, as of Sunday afternoon. NCWorks reports thousands of available positions across the Triangle area.
In Wake County, the top employers with the most job openings on NCWorks are*:
- Wake County Public School System
- North Carolina State University
- WakeMed Health and Hospitals
- UNC Health Care System
Here are the top companies/organizations by job openings in Durham County:
- Duke University
- Durham Public Schools
- Duke University Health System
- Fidelity Investments
The top employers in Johnston County are:
- Johnston County Public Schools
- Johnston Health
- Novo Nordisk
- Food Lion
And here are the top employers in Orange County:
- UNC Chapel Hill
- UNC Health Care System
- Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools
- Orange County Schools
- AHS NurseStat
*Note: This data was gathered through NCWorks’ Labor Market Information portal, which aggregates public job listings. NC Commerce confirmed with TechWire that this search pathway has a thorough process to remove duplicate job listings. Check employers’ websites directly for the latest information.
Raleigh Founded, a startup incubator and coworking space, has its own job board. Job seekers can filter results by company, company size, industry and job function. The site currently lists 159 positions at 30 companies as of Sunday afternoon. About a dozen new jobs were posted over the last week:
- Levitate, a client communications software firm, posted an opening for a senior platform developer in Raleigh.
- Raleigh software startup Pendo is looking to hire a product security engineer.
- Raleigh-based IT firm Pivotal IT Services posted several jobs in Raleigh (with remote options available): VIstA testing specialist, power BI developer, MUMPS/CACHE developer, Java web application developer, data loss prevention architect, senior Java software engineer and AWS cloud engineer.
- Cloud software provider Veeva Systems posted openings in Raleigh for a senior CRO solution consultant and a senior clinical data management/EDC solution consultant.
Leadership Triangle, Raleigh Founded and American Underground teamed up to create the Triangle Region Job Board, which synthesizes all of the openings posted on the organizations’ job boards. (Those openings are listed under their respective subheadings above.)
As of Sunday afternoon, the site shows 3,223 jobs at 100 companies. The latest Triangle-area openings (excluding remote jobs) come from the following employers:
- Bank of America (Durham, Garner and Raleigh)
- Blue Cross NC (Durham)
- Burt’s Bees (Morrisville)
- Capitol Broadcasting Company (Raleigh and Holly Springs)
- Citrix (Raleigh)
- Coastal Credit Union (Raleigh)
- Fidelity Investments (Durham)
- Google (Raleigh/Durham)
- Levitate (Raleigh)
- Medicago (Durham)
- North Carolina Central University (Durham)
- Pendo (Raleigh)
- Self-Help Credit Union (Durham)
- Truist (multiple locations)
- Veeva Systems (Raleigh)
- Wild Earth (Raleigh)
- William Peace University (Raleigh)
Work in the Triangle, a Wake County Economic Development program, regularly shares new openings through its Twitter feed, @WorkTriangleNC. The program recently launched a job board on its website, with 10,681 active openings as of Sunday afternoon. Of those, 8,666 are technology jobs, 1,181 are advanced manufacturing positions, 351 are in cleantech and 483 are in life sciences.
Every Tuesday, Work in the Triangle’s #TriangleTuesdays hashtag lists hot jobs in the area. Here’s a recap of last week’s openings (from June 7):
Scroll through the #TriangleTuesdays hashtag on Twitter for more details on the openings.
Openings at Top Triangle Tech Firms
Job openings abound at the Triangle’s leading technology employers. Here’s how many are available as of Sunday afternoon:
- Lenovo: 356 jobs in Morrisville
- SAS: 143 openings in Cary
- Red Hat: 27 openings in Raleigh; 22 remote openings in North Carolina
- Bandwidth: 60 openings in Raleigh
- Pendo: 25 openings in Raleigh
- IBM: ~22 jobs in RTP, according to the website; 176 jobs in Durham listed on NCWorks
Job Openings Submitted by Local Companies
Below is a list of employer-submitted job openings. If you’d like to submit your job openings for this segment, reach out to us here.
Chapel Hill-based edtech company Terra Dotta plans to boost its headcount by 25% in 2022. Its current job openings include:
Upcoming Job Fairs/Career Events
Here’s our latest roundup of upcoming job fairs and other resources to help people looking for employment:
BioNetwork Virtual Career Fair: Aug. 3, 3–6 p.m. (online)
The North Carolina BioNetwork will host an online career fair for process technicians seeking jobs at biotechnology, pharmaceutical or chemical manufacturing companies. More information here.
NC State Engineering Career Fair: Sept. 20–21 (in-person and virtual)
In this hybrid career fair, NC State engineering students can meet with employers seeking talent across a range of industries. This is a two-day event: The first day will be held in person, while the second will take place virtually via Career Fair Plus. More details here.
Other Resources / Student Support
If you’re a student looking for an internship or entry-level position at a local company or organization, your university has resources to help you get started. Quick links below:
For Johnston County job seekers: The newly launched JoCo Careers website helps job seekers find companies hiring in Johnston County. (More TechWire coverage here.)
Twitter Accounts to Follow
Here are some locally run Twitter accounts that regularly share job openings in the Triangle: